In a situation where an employee gets injured or becomes sick on the worksite, it is always important to remain calm and do the following:
- Always apply first aid first if necessary. If the injury is severe, contact emergency services immediately.
- Make sure that the area where the employee was injured is safe and secure to prevent further injuries.
- After any immediate danger is resolved, make a record of the employees view of events, and any eyewitness by using an investigation form.
- A supervisor should also make a record of the events.
- If necessary or required, report the injury to OSHA.
Workplace injures happen often but are unpredictable. Always be prepared for the worst case scenario and hope for the best.