As winter approaches and the weather cools down, shoveling snow from your workplace could become a regular activity. Snow shoveling has the dangerous potential for dehydration, exhaustion, heart attacks, and back injuries.
Here are a few helpful tips to make sure you safely return from snow shoveling:
- Warm up before going out. Cold muscles increase the likeliness of injury.
- Wear warm clothing.
- Take frequent breaks in warm areas.
- Drink fluids, even when you don't think you are thirsty.
- Scoop small amounts of snow, don't overdo yourself.
- Push rather than lift if you can.
Always remember to lift with your legs, keep your back straight, and turn by using your legs. Stay warm and SAFE this winter.