Mold in the Workplace FAQs

Q: What is mold and is it dangerous?

A: Mold can be found both outdoors and indoors. It is usually present in areas that are prone to moisture. Molds produce and release tiny spores into the air or water which can have a negative effect on human health. Indoor air quality is often damaged because of mold.

Q: What should I do if I find mold at my workplace?

A: Because of the health hazards related to mold, it should be removed immediately upon discovery. The best way to control it is monitor moisture levels in the area that it was found. Contact a professional cleaning service to be sure it is completely removed from your workplace.

Q: How should I clean up mold?

A: Follow the steps below to remove mold you find in your workplace:

  1. Remove any noticeable moisture or wetness in the area with a wet vac.
  2. Use fans to assist in drying the area.
  3. Make sure area is well ventilated.
  4. Clean wet surfaces with a detergent solution
  5. Discard all water/mold damaged items into a sealed plastic bag.
  6. Disinfect with a one part to two parts bleach to water solution.
  7. Use appropriate PPE while cleaning.

Q: Where can I find more information regarding molds and fungi?

A: The OSHA index for mold and fungi can be found by clicking HERE. For training purposes and general use, download the OSHA Mold Quick Card and distribute it to your employees and coworkers.


Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.