Floods are one of the most common workplace hazards in the United States. Floods are caused by a variety of situations such as rain, rising rivers, tidal surges, ice jams, broken pipes, and dam failures.
Because of the unpredictability of flooding the best way to quickly respond to a flood hazard is to be prepared. All employers should have an emergency action plan. Here are a few tips to prepare for flooding.
- Have a chain of command that can organize a response team quickly
- Assign emergency functions to employees so they know their roles
- Have evacuation procedures put in place in case of hazards
- Have procedures for accounting that all employees are safe
- Have equipment ready and accessible
- Train employees on your plan and make sure everyone understands their role